Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Evil Dead: A Piss Your Pants Review



I was first time I saw the original Evil Dead I was still a teenager. It was the first time I had ever heard of the necronomicon, and seen anything like that kind of possession in a movie. Lets just say after seeing it, it made me not want to go into the woods anytime soon. It obviously had the same effect on thousands as that movie and the others that followed it became cult classics in the American Horror genre.

So imagine my uneasiness when I first saw the trailer for the Evil Dead 2013 movie. Now I will admit that the trailer looked pretty good, but you can say that for most movies, even Will Ferrell movies. The only thing I think of is how virtually every series is ruined by the remakes. Consider Conan, Total Recall, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Omen to name a few. Plus I see no Bruce Campbell? Blasphemy I say! But then I ask, will they copy the movie exactly, or do something new just with the same theme?

Now first off, this movie is not for the squeamish. Also not the movie to go see if your trying to get laid on a date (usually). Beyond that, I can say that this remake of Evil Dead is not the same Evil Dead you saw originally. Its better! It even makes it better knowing that Bruce was involved int the making, and that there are more to come! If you can't tell by now I was very impressed by the movie. It keeps the over the top blood and violence, even pays tribute in small ways.

If you are an Evil Dead fan, a Bruce Campbell fan, or horror fan you need to see this movie. Even if it left me wanting to hear the phrase "Shop Smart, Shop S-mart!" and its not exactly the same without Bruce. The story works in different ways to achieve the same goal, which is to scare the piss out of you. It stays in the serious horror genre unlike the second and third installments of the series (although I love Army of Darkness- much to the dislike of my wife). Lets just hope they hit it out of the cabin (or ballpark) on the next one as well!

Long Live the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment